How to Skateboard - Skateboarding help, tricks, FAQs, etc.
By Steve Cave
Everything the beginner skateboarder needs to know, from true skateboarding basics like how to stand on the board and how to push, to buying a skateboard.
- How to Skateboard - The Basics (VIDEO)
- Beginner Skateboarding Essentials
- Top 6 Reasons to Start Skateboarding
- How to Kickturn
- How to Footbreak (stop)
- Skateboard Safety
- How to Fall Safely
- Dealing with Getting Hurt, and Fear
- Top Skateboarding Camps - East
- Top Skateboarding Camps - West
- Skateboarding Schools Worldwide
- Top 10 Instructional Skateboard Videos
- How to Start a Skateboard Club
- Skateboard Dictionary
There are questions that come up often with skateboarding, and learning how to skate. Here are answers to come of the most common questions:
- Is Skateboarding a Bad Infuence?
- How Do You Deal With Injuries?
- Are You Too Old to Learn to Skate?
- Should you Wear Pads or Helmets?
- Nervous as a Girl Skateboarder?
- What Should Big or Tall Skaters Do?
- Are Cheap Skateboards OK to Buy?
- Is it OK to Push With my Front Foot?
- Skateboarding FAQ - see more Questions and Answers
We have a collection of exclusive skateboard trick tip videos, made just for About.com.
How to do Street or Technical Tricks
Learn street skateboarding tricks, with detailed step by step instructions, complete with photos and help with common problems.
- How to Ollie
- How to Ollie (VIDEO)
- How to Nollie
- How to Ollie Off of Curbs
- How to Ollie Down Stairs
- How to Pop-Shuvit
- How to Slappy Grind
- How to 360 Pop Shove It
- How to Rail Stand (or Primo Stand)
- How to Boardslide
- How to Kickflip
- How to Kickflip (VIDEO)
- How to 50-50 Grind
- How to 5-0 Grind
- How to Heelflip
- How to Nose Stall
- How to 180 Ollie
- How to 360 Ollie
- How to 360 Flip (or Tre Flip)
- How to Tre Flip (VIDEO)
How to do Ramp or Skatepark Tricks
While a lot of street tricks can and should be incorporated into park skateboarding, there are certain tricks that use the ramp, transition or coping that can be a lot of fun to learn. Try these out!
How to do Style Tricks
Learn various ways to add style to your skateboarding, such as adding slides or manuals. Skateboarding is all about adding your own personal expression to your riding, and here are a few ideas to try out!
How to do Vert Tricks
Learn how to do tricks on vert ramps. If you have a vert ramp near you, riding vert skateboarding can be a LOT of fun, and different from any other kind of skateboarding you have tried. Vert ramps are HUGE, and in vert skateboarding you get a rush from the speed and flow that downhill bombing can only compare with. Learn some vert tricks!
How to Longboard
Longboarding is riding a larger, longer skateboard. Longboarding is most often used for cruising around, but there are some pretty crazy ways to use a longboard as well, such as sliding down hills and break-neck speeds, or even tricks! Lean all about it!