The Bottom Line
- Super Suede - this new DC innovation is incrediable. It really does last longer.
- Features - the Griffin comes with several features that add specifically to skating
- Strong - besides the Super Suede, Griffins come with double layered triple stitched toe caps.
- Cool - Colin McKay helped design the Griffin, and he knows what looks sick. The Griffin looks good.
- The footbed has little / no arch support, like most DC shoes.
- Colin McKay pro signature model skateboarding shoe
- Super Suede - super suede is DC's own innovation that is 50% stronger and lasts longer
- Velcro strap at the top of the laces allows for custom and easy fitting
- Lightweight padded mesh tongue with internal stabilizers
- Patent-pending DGT rubber sole design adds board control and durability
- Lower lace eyelets feature extra layer for lace protection or added strength
- Thermoplastic urethane (TPU) heel stabilizer for added heel support
- Available in three color styles - black / gun metal, gray / white, white / light gray
Guide Review - DC Griffin - Colin McKay Signature Skate Shoe Review
The only drawback with DC Griffins is their lack of arch support. The footbead isn't completely flat, but neither does it have a strong arch support. For most people, this won't be a problem. but if you have high arches, you might notice. That's it. That's my only complaint!
As to what makes the DC Griffins so great - the list is huge, read it for yourself! The biggest, most innovative special feature is the new DC Super Suede. If you haven't heard about it, let me fill you in. DC has spent the last few years developing a new type of suede that looks and feels like regular suede, but that last longer and is more durable. According to DC, Super Suede is 50% more durable. When we're talking about skateboarding, where effectively every time you ride your board you're rubbing your shoes against sand paper, that's a huge improvement. In testing, I found this to be absolutely true.
The soles feature DC's DGT technology, where certain areas of the sole are made of rubbers with various durometers. The softer rubber is at the toes for greater board control, while the heel is made of stronger rubber.
The DC Griffins by Colin McKay have everything you want, plus some extras. Everything about the DC Griffin shoes is focused on adding to your skateboarding experience. Try them out.