The Bottom Line
- High quality - packed features, the Rival is a well made, durable shoe made from the best stuff
- Unique - Fallen shoes are only available at specialty skate shops. You won't find these in the mall
- Jamie Thomas signature model
- Being unique and only at certain shops means that you may have to travel to get a pair.
- Jamie Thomas signature model, and Jamie Thomas's skate shoe line
- Synthetic suede or leather upper
- Thin rubber layer under toe cap for durability and protection
- Foam padded tongue and collar add comfort and support
- Internal tongue straps add stabilty
- Dual lacing system on the toe cap adds protection and durrability
- Shock absorbing heel bag plus soft EVA insole with gel heel pad for extra impact cushioning
- Sticky gum rubber herring bone sole for grip and flex
- Shoes come with a plastic Fallen logo template for spray painting
- Available in 4 color schemes - black, charcoal, "chocolate" (dark and light brown mix) and white
Guide Review - Fallen Rival - Jamie Thomas signature model
First off, they're packed with all the features you'd hope to get in a good skate shoe, plus more. Double stitched synthetic leather or suede gives comfort and durability, while the padded tongue and tongue straps add to the comfort and stability. The heel features an airbag to absorb shock, plus a gel heel pad insole for even more. The sole is grippy gum rubber, scored for flexibility.
The shoes also feature extra lace protection on the toe - this is something I wish more skate shoes had. If you tend to wear down your laces, then this is a feature you should look for, and one you'll be happy to hear is on the Rival.
The Rivals also feature a Velcro strap that improves the shoe's fitting. In fact, I never tied these while I was reviewing them - I laced them up, gave the laces a half crossover and then used the Velcro strap to cinch them. Talk about comfort!
The Fallen logo graces the side and heel, with Thomas's name on the Velcro strap and Fallen on the tongue. All of these accents are simple, and stitched - meaning they won't rub off. They add a little extra quality.
And that's what makes these shoes so great. These shoes are packed with small features like these - the sum of which adds up to one great shoe for skateboarding. I highly recommend them.