The Bottom Line
- Easy to ride - at first, the Wave seems a little odd, but it can be learned quickly
- The board is propelled in such a way that the rider doesn't even have to touch the ground
- Smooth - the Wave rides very naturally and smoothly, like swimming over the pavement
- Tiring - until you are used to the Wave, it will wear out your feet and legs!
- Hard to stop - the Wave can turn on a dime, but actually stopping can be difficult
- Two wheel system allows for quick, smooth 360 degree turns
- 10 inches wide by 33 1/2 inches long - about the length of a longer skateboard
- Total weight 8.36 pounds
- Durable - made from hard plastics, solid wheels, and metal parts
- Extremely grippy rubber footpads - the riders will never slip
- Originally called the Es Board, then the X-Board, the Wave has received several awards:
- Winner of 3 gold medals at INPEX 2004 - Recreation area, Sports area, and Toys & Games area
- Winner of the INPEX 2004 Grand Prix
- Winner of the title, "Best Innovation for the Americas 2004" award!!
Guide Review - The Wave
To ride the Wave, the rider stands on the pads, and then begins to twist them in opposite directions, using his or her weight and the crazy engineering of the board to propel across the pavement. It's sort of like snowboarding, sort of like skateboarding, sort of like nothing I've done before. It's a mobile, agile, organic ride.
One drawback is how tiring the Wave will be at first. Brandon, one of our testers, was a natural Wave rider. He rode it to school, planning to ride it home as well, but his feet and legs were dead by lunch. The Wave requires that the rider keeps moving, weaving and turning, so until you get used to it, it can burn out your feet and legs. However, on the other hand, this means the Wave is a great leg and foot workout! And, Brandon reported that the kids at school were totally into the Wave, curious and impressed.
Which makes sense. The Wave is a totally new and original concept. Take a look at the Wave website for videos and more, and see for yourself how wild it is. If you are looking for the next new thing in board riding, if you are looking for something fun and unique, or if you are looking for a cool new challenge, the Wave is it.