1. Sports

Your suggestion is on its way!

An email with a link to:

was emailed to:

Thanks for sharing About.com with others!

Steve Cave

Skate Stoppers Actually Illegal - Obvious Intent to Harm

By November 3, 2012

So, I was hanging out with a lawyer buddy of mine (who shall remain anonymously "Legally Blonde"). †We were walking around town and I pointed out skate stoppers (also called skater haters) on a rail and said, "Those things really bug me - not just because they stop skateboarding, but aren't they literally designed to cause injury if you skate there? Couldn't someone skate on one, get hurt, and sue the pants off of whoever put it there?"

He thought for a moment, and said, "Maybe! But don't quote me on your site!"

But he also pointed out that if someone was to read my site suggesting that, and then do it, that the defense could use that to say you did it on purpose! So... in reading my idea here, you might have ruined your chance to do it. You're welcome! But what do YOU guys think? My buddy is just a band new lawyer who hangs out with a loser skater who needs to shower more. Do YOU think my point makes sense? Do you think skate stoppers should be illegal? Post a comment below!

Comments

November 4, 2012 at 3:35 am
(1) Lmaowhat says:

No. That’s like saying electric fences are illegal because they intend to harm. Public rails yes, private no.

November 5, 2012 at 12:24 am
(2) Nicole says:

Yes, they are hella annoying, but I good defense could be that a skater knows why it’s there and tries to skate it anyway, therefor, they brought it upon themselves. That’s just my opinion.

November 9, 2012 at 7:03 am
(3) skateordie says:

Nicole, many people argue that when skaters skate a spot, it’s their responsibility that they don’t get hurt. so your point is invalid. Also, what’s more ugly, a spot that has been put to use from passion, or knobbed the crap out due to hate.

November 13, 2012 at 4:44 pm
(4) hektor esparza says:

A good lawyer given the right circumstances could a make a strong case for liability or worse. If I skated a ledge at a public library on a regular basis and expected it to be free of any device and then got badly injured because the ledge was modified without my knowledge, I would certainly be inclined to sue. The act of applying the skate stopper shows premeditation and even perhaps malicious intent to do harm. A property owner could possibly get someone killed if they applied a skate stopper to a large handrail that the skaters in the area expected to be free of obstructions. The property owner would have to incriminate himself when answering why he had the handrail modified. A second question might be: What did you expect to happen to the skateboarder when your device stopped him as you clearly intended it to do?

Another issue I have long pondered is the legality of skateboard confiscation by security guards and police. Does anyone know how this started and what gave security guards the idea they can do this?
Is it legal?

November 30, 2012 at 3:07 pm
(5) Chris says:

I got an idea….. HOW ABOUT YOU GO TO A SKATEPARK WHERE ITS LEGAL TO SKATE. People are idiots for making such stupid and ignorant comments.

December 6, 2012 at 1:07 pm
(6) Dylan Kuhn says:

skateboarding is not a cream ! i would rather see kids skateboarding around then doing drugs and real crimes not just riding around having fun. why are people trying to stop it ? i don’t understand ? why yes skate stoppers should be illegal because skating is saving people from drugs and street violance and gangs.

December 6, 2012 at 5:09 pm
(7) Mike Duthler says:

Skate stoppers are designed to prevent skateboarders from skating the object they are on, not to injure the skateboarder. Most skaters try to prevent injury so they avoid skating something that they know will hurt them, such as a skate-stopped (knobbed) handrail. Skate-stoppers don’t always prevent skateboarders from skating the object, though. Many grind over them, through them, or go around or over them. There is actually a law prohibiting foreign objects attached to rails or ledges / benches. My good friend (former pro skateboarder Nate Sherwood) has a bumper sticker reading “skateboarding is not a crime but skate-stoppers are” and below it references the law so you can look it up (I don’t remember it off the top of my head). Also, skateboarding in skateparks is fun and legal (mostly) but the reason we flock to the streets is because they were not designed to be skated. We are making something out of our environment. Look up Edmund Bacon (the guy who designed Love Park). He backs skateboarders (and even skated through Love at 80+ years old to protest anti-skateboarding laws).

December 27, 2012 at 4:42 pm
(8) FMJie says:

The law puts human safety above property rights, but As long as there were warning signs posted, I don’t think the owner could be found liable. They made it aware that they are there, so it would be clear that they were not putting them there to purposely injure skaters who didn’t see the skatestopper. Without any type of warning sign, or if the stoppers weren’t blatantly noticable a skater might have a legal case

March 4, 2013 at 10:44 am
(9) Kromman says:

If you want to mount a legal challenge to Skate Stoppers, I’d direct you away from the damage inflicted on boarders and point you to the building code. Railings are there to help the aged, the handicapped, the weak and sickly. Those people find Skate Stoppers to be something that inhibits their use of the handrail, and is therefore hazardous to them. This is the law! I repeat: The uniform building code does not allow for skate-stoppers on handrails. That’s how you should work to get them removed.

See guys, you’re just doing it out of the goodness of your heart to help the oldsters! ;)

March 15, 2013 at 5:38 am
(10) test says:

Hyperlink trade can be nothing at all in addition except it really is purely inserting another person’s hyperlink on the web site at correct place and other man or women will likely do identical to suit your needs.

April 10, 2013 at 8:57 pm
(11) Daniel says:

Y’all a bunch of fools. If you wanted to sue someone for putting a skate stopper and you getting hurt… They will obviously counter sue for damage to property(the reason they are attached to said object)

June 4, 2013 at 3:30 pm
(12) Steve says:

That’s exactly right Daniel It cost me about 1000.00 to replace a small rail that had been trashed by skaters, and that was a small one. The damage these people are causing is real and very expensive. I will be installing skate stoppers at my facility, with no worries of liability. If the situation does come up I will stand by the fact that someone was trespassing and caused significant property damage before they got injured, and I wouldn’t imagine I would be paying for some little skaters stupidity. I would imagine it would go just the opposite I would be pressing charges. My liability stops when I try to prevent the skater problem. If however I had no skate stoppers or signs, I would be liable for any injury sustained on my property to a dumb skater or anyone else. These preventative measures give me ground to stand on when pressing charges. Point being if you want to avoid injury or legal problems keep the skating where its supposed to be. Don’t be stupid and skate any rails with skate stoppers and you will avoid injury or fine or both. Those devices are there for a reason.

June 28, 2013 at 5:19 pm
(13) jthomas says:

That’s the stupidest think i’ve ever heard. Skate stoppers while having an obvious intent of keeping kids from ruining other peoples property are also just parts of the building. If you try to sue, the owner will just defend it by saying that it’s an architectural feature of the wall. It’s not like they have to accomidate ur hobby. They can put whatever they want on the wall. They could put a series of copper monkeys 3′ on center if they wanted to… that would keep you from skating it too

July 25, 2013 at 9:14 pm
(14) Old Skuul Skater says:

The old guy that i am now and the former owner of a precast company that made wall cap and many other products i myself have skated on in the past, i have to say your post is a bit of a reach. 99% of the places that put these type of things on to stop the grinders have signs posted no skaters or bikes. if it is posted you have been warned so if u got hurt it would be at your own risk. To ask for it to be outlawed to install a anti vandalisme product on private or city property is ridiculous! thats like saying we should outlaw car alarms that are there to protect a car from being vandalized. there really is no excuse where i live for skaters to be doing what I as kid did, we had no skateparks other than pipeline in socal then some sue happy punk got them closed down after over 30 years and being home to guys like Tony Hawk, now a days many city’s have public skate parks in there city parks, so there is no reason unless ur just a punk with no respect to trash other peoples property for fun…

August 2, 2013 at 10:11 am
(15) taylor89 says:

It is foolish to think that Skate stoppers should be illegal, especially under the guise of ďObvious Intent to HarmĒ. You donít see people making too much fuss over razor wire fences. If you attempt to get over the fence, you will be harmed. CLEARLY they donít want you to be on the other side of the fence. And if you skate on someoneís property, they have the same right to have deterrents to keep people off; same scenario.
I respect the sport, but businesses donít want to shell out for stoppers. Thatís extra money spent to help maintain their property.

August 7, 2013 at 2:45 am
(16) Jim Johnston says:

As a trustee of a congregation with a church building downtown, I am about to reinstall a handrail that was damaged partly by skating activity. I will be installing knobs on the railing repair only. There is no signage in the courtyard; signs telling people not to do something should not be the first. If you insist on doing something dangerous on property that isn’t yours, don’t expect to hold the property owner liable for your obsession.

October 1, 2013 at 2:39 pm
(17) Whatitis says:

Grinding on private property is vandalism. Skaters have no concern for the damage they do. Go to the skate park.

October 21, 2013 at 8:07 pm
(18) Nick Brooks says:

Listen, I am an avid skater and bmx rider. I hate skatestops as much as the next guy, but here it is. All of the places I have seen them in all have signs, and had them prior to the installation of the skatestops, that stated no skateboards, bikes, or rollerblades. That being said it was already apparent that the people should not be there. And as far as I know only one business does not have signs stating there are objects in place to stop people from performing these acts. It is really simple, if the business has signs saying they don’t want you there, then don’t skate there. I know there are many businesses around me that openly promote skaters being able to use their property to simply keep them busy and out of trouble. Mind you for everyone who thinks I’m old, I am only 19. I simply was raised with respect for others property and a good education.

November 30, 2013 at 10:36 pm
(19) VsVeggin says:

OK–so in the instance of public safety, a skateboarding person (not to mention eight in a row) could potentially injure a number of our patrons. Imagine a blind patron leaving the library, stepping out the door with no
warning except the whirring of the wheels of the board.

It is simple.

Respect other’s property and individual’s rights. A ramp for accessibility is not designed for skaters to run up and jump off the edge where there are stairs.

How’s this for a skate stopper, an employee of a public place opening the door suddenly only to allow a skate boarder to collide with the door. No intent to harm of course.

January 24, 2014 at 1:48 am
(20) Joyce says:

Skate Boarders should stay off of private property. If homes and business have curbs in and around their private property, then the skaters should respect that this is not a place for them to skate, regardless of how tempting it is. Where does the responsibility of these kids begin? They have no boundaries and no respect for anyone’s property. If a property owner wants to protect their curbs with this apparatus, and the trespasser (the skater) violates the rights of the property owner, then it is the skaters fault if they get injured and can blame noone except themselves. It cost money to maintain your property and to have to add additional expense to keep trespassers off your property, then it should be a crime for trespassing. I think skateboarding should be off the sidewalks and streets and only in a designated park. End of discussion.

February 7, 2014 at 1:37 pm
(21) Oscar says:

Does anyone know if there is any legality for installing a row of skate stopper on a concrete sitting wall? At my facility the problem is we have long retaining walls for students to sit at between classes, mostly nurses. Skaters have made these sitting areas unusable because their wax ruins people’s clothes, and sometimes they are skating on our wall and nurses just kinda stand there waiting for class,avoiding a shooting skateboard to their shins.
I am much more interested in the safety and comfort of the nurses (who ironically will be treating broken skater bones!) than the presence of loud, destructive, and often very rude skaters.

Oscar