1. Sports

Your suggestion is on its way!

An email with a link to:

was emailed to:

Thanks for sharing About.com with others!

Kickflips are easily the most popular skateboarding trick to learn, after the ollie. But they're tough! There are piles of common problems, and one reader named Will just wrote me with one. He said, "when I try to kickflip i always ollie instead, my feet just cant do the flick unless I try to land with only one foot."

This is a pretty common problem, and it could be from a few different things. My first guess is something called Chickenfoot, where you are scared (whether you know it or not!), and so one of your feet refuses to land on the board. Read this FAQ on Chickenfoot for more help if you think that might be your problem.

But this could be other things too, like a foot placement problem, or even just that the kickflip isn't high enough! Here's some more resources that might help:

I hope this helps Will, and any other skaters out there dealing with kickflip issues. If you have any more questions, or help to offer, leave a comment below! one of the most popular skateboarding tricks to learn - and the next trick to naturally learn after the ollie. But they can be toughRead these step by step instructions on how to kickflip on your skateboard, and you should be good to go. Learning to kickflip first, before learning other skateboarding flip tricks, will help you in the long run.

Comments

May 4, 2010 at 7:52 pm
    (1) troy says:

al you need to do is pop and when you hear the pop slide your front foot up to the corner of the nose and jumps so the board will spin under you and when you feel the bolts tweak your feet so you land with steeze. so harden you nuts up and land first pop

May 5, 2010 at 10:33 am
    (2) Will says:

Thank you very much Steve, you really made my day!

May 5, 2010 at 1:21 pm
    (3) luke says:

i have that same problem! i can do a PERFECT kickflip but the front foot wont land on it. I try and try to land it but the flip will mess up if i try to bring my front foot on it.
    What ussually happens is i flip perfectly but my flipping foot always hits the ground before the board is done flipping! i cant stand it if i knew how to land the front foot i would have kickflips crossed of on my trick book.

May 11, 2010 at 9:23 pm
    (4) Euan says:

Hey dude, you have problems landing with one foot?
    The way i learnt how to kickflip was to land it with one foot really well, switch over and land it with the other really well and then eventually both and voila!

May 12, 2010 at 11:35 am
    (5) Will says:

I can land with each foot alone really well, but when I try to put them down together its impossible!

June 4, 2010 at 12:07 pm
    (6) Nevada says:

I have no problems with putting both of my feet on the board its just i’v bin practicing for so long on doing kickflips and i can get the flick but instead of the board staying under me it turns into a varial kickflip i meen wtf?! its making me very mad any advice?

July 1, 2010 at 10:56 pm
    (7) gabriel clement says:

why cant i get my back foot on the skateboard while doing the kickflip.I can get the full rotation and land with the front foot but cant land it with the back foot please help.

September 29, 2010 at 1:00 am
    (8) sam says:

hey could someone PLEASE help me! ive been trying to kickflip for about 4 weeks straight practising at least an hour a day, and i can manage to flip the board but my back foot doesnt go anywhere and i land it with my front foot out. when i try to jump more with my back foot i totally fail the flick with my front foot and the best i can get it to flip is about halfway and then still usually dont even land on top of it, can somebody give me help please its driving me nuts!

October 22, 2010 at 6:47 pm
    (9) dill says:

Anyone who can make the board spin on its vertical axis 360 degrees can do a kick flip. People land with 1 foot because they are scared the board will slip out from under them, or they might land premo and fall. If you really can’t get both feet on try holding onto a hand rail or tree or anything else. Then do the kick flip, you will land on it with both feet no doubt. Then try in the grass or on carpet. Then go outside and don’t puss out!

May 18, 2011 at 9:21 pm
    (10) quinn says:

i just tried the rail thing but i felt like i was lifting myself up and timing it to land on it .after about an hour i was starting to get sloppy and the board didnt even spin so i stopped

March 31, 2012 at 4:14 pm
    (11) tony says:

i cant get the flick right. is possibly my foot placement wrong?

March 31, 2012 at 4:14 pm
    (12) tony says:

i cant get the flick right. is possibly my foot placement wrong?

May 2, 2012 at 10:56 am
    (13) dylan says:

Yea you need to put your front foot between the front boltsz anyway i land my front foot under my board!? and its reaally frustrating. if i switch i just dont land it…..

May 23, 2012 at 2:45 pm
    (14) Dan says:

I have the same problem, i pop the board, flip it, and land it only with right foor, NEVER does my left foot land on the board, but my feet get twisted or something and its just crazy.

some say, your shoulders have to be lined up with the bolts, some say shift your weigh back, but NOTHING works, this is just a massive problem that cannot be fixed unless you just magically start landing the kickflip.

July 2, 2012 at 3:15 pm
    (15) jake says:

try raising your front knees while you flick it helps to flick the board just at the curve of the nose and to keep your feet up while the board spins

September 11, 2012 at 3:44 pm
    (16) Nick says:

I saw somebody said that they ended up throwing varial kicks instead of a kickflip sometimes? I used to do the same thing with my heels all the time, so i started throwing my back foot straight back after the pop to ensure that it wouldn’t cause any shove, it worked for me.

March 20, 2013 at 9:41 pm
    (17) manny says:

this helped a lot i got it down

May 28, 2013 at 7:54 pm
    (18) Kunj says:

this video adresses nearly any problem you may have, good luck

May 28, 2013 at 8:06 pm
    (19) Kunj says:

i had this exact problem and the way i fixed it was doing a half kickflip ( thats just flipping the board upside down instead of an entire roll). just practice that and you will find it easier to land with both feet on the board (even if it is difficult, you must practice until you can land it). when you half kickflip land both feet ANYWHERE on the board, just make sure you land on it. once you get that down. just try and flip the board harder and your front or back leg will no longer be trained to move away and will instead aim for the board so you can land it. expect slight injury (mostly around your ankles but nothing too bad) and just keep practicing. I guarantee you will get it if you are dedicated.

September 15, 2013 at 3:26 pm
    (20) Vanz says:

I can get the board to spin the only thing, is landing on the board it stays in place but i cant get my feet to land on the board Please Help