1. Sports

Your suggestion is on its way!

An email with a link to:

was emailed to:

Thanks for sharing About.com with others!

Skateboarding in the Olympics - IASC - Gary ReamAccording to Yahoo Sports, "The International Olympic Committee said Friday it has held discussions with cycling's world governing body about introducing skateboarding as a discipline for the London program." The 2012 Olympics are set for London, and it looks like the chances of skateboarding being added as an official "sport" are high. "We are doing our best to introduce skateboarding for 2012," UCI sports director Olivier Quejuiner told the London Evening Standard, according to Yahoo Sports. "We have a clear strategy ... The venue could be wonderful. All we need now is the green light from the IOC. Technically, logistically and in terms of cost, it would not be a problem to stage the event in 2012." The concept of skateboarding in the Olympics has been in the pipes for a while - read Skateboarding in the Olympics.

What does this mean for skateboarding? Many feel that doing something like this with skateboarding will seal its fate as a legitimate sport, which will then lead to rules, an official "right" way to ride a skateboard, and even more selling out. On the other hand, many others feel that bringing skateboarding into the main stream will bring greater acceptance, help ease harassment, and bring in more community support. What do you think? Leave a comment below.

Photo Steve Cave

Comments

June 12, 2007 at 12:42 am
(1) drew says:

it could go either way…hopefully the olympics don’t pull an espn and try to make skateboarding fit into what they want…and it wouldnt be really fair, because the america team has a huge advantage with so many more pros from here…i don’t even know how all the countries could get a team toghether that’s even comparable to team america or australia

June 12, 2007 at 2:32 am
(2) amanda says:

I think the pros definitely outweigh the cons. “Selling out” will always be a part of any successful activity…but there will ALWAYS be those who dont do it just for the money or just to be cool. I think having skateboarding in the Olympics will give its participants an even greater sense of pride in what they do. I am concerned about there being an enforcement of the “right way” to skateboard, but if they judge the skating like any other skating competition, it’ll work out just fine. There isn’t really a certain way that skateboarding must be done anyway. If they dont know that already, then yea, Olympic skateboarding won’t last. I’m pretty confident, however, that if this does happen it will be done well….and the dignity of true skaters will be preserved, and glorified more than it ever has before…I can’t wait to see it happen.

June 19, 2007 at 12:49 am
(3) Clarkie says:

Gary Ream tying to get skateboarding in the Olympics through Cycling (which he is a member; and he is set to benefit from IOC money for his so called “training camps, Camp Woodward) is a fraudulent back door deal. Here is my comment:

June 19, 2007 at 7:29 am
(4) NDG says:

check http://www.skateboardesa.com

for our statement

June 19, 2007 at 8:57 am
(5) Nick says:

It’s great there putting skateboading in the olypics to draw people to the community of skateboarding… but, what steve cave says is true, Will it make skateboarding something that has rules?

June 19, 2007 at 3:08 pm
(6) cat says:

well yeah, it’s a great opportunity to show the world that it’s a “sport” that many people enjoy and excell in, but will it take away the pleasure of skateboarding? There are already competitions in skateboarding and i suppose that hasn’t taken too much away from the “sport”. I do think that by showing lots more people in the world it may possibly open up a new way of thinking for skating. I know that alot of people in society have a stereo typical idea of what skaters are like and it would be great to show them that they’re wrong. I totally agree with what nick said and that it could have an affect on skateboarding by creating rules but then again we don’t know which way it will go untill we try it! personally it would be an awesome site to see. Cheers. cat

October 16, 2007 at 3:12 pm
(7) Aaron says:

skateboarding being in the Olympics has had TOO MUCH debate… I say Just put it in there…. As a skater, I belive Putting skateboarding in the Olympics would help the skating world in MANY ways.. For example… There would be more money in the skating world. So in that way, skateparks could be built and more skating equipments. Also i belive that if skateboarding were in the Olympics that, Schollarships would be avaliable for colleges. Also bringing skating clubs for Schools which would also be Profitable for communities.

July 11, 2008 at 12:44 pm
(8) Riley says:

I don’t think skateboarding should be in the olympics because it would attract too many wannabees.

August 12, 2008 at 11:20 am
(9) Lukash says:

It should definitely be in the Olympics! As a veteran (amateur) skater I think you are missing the point that it would be good for the Olympics more than anything! :) A gift that would bring a young fresh crowd to engage with the Olympic spirit! Yes the Yanks would dominate to start with but as soon as the world started to take it seriously then it would develop everywhere. I hate the way skaters treat it like an insular ‘in crowd sport’ it makes us look like a bunch of uncultured arropgant idiots . What are you saying by ‘too many wannabes’ wannabee what? A skater; that’s a good thing. Like any good sport Skating should be well sponsored and have excellent events to develop it; and what could possibly be better than the Olympics? We need to come down off our paranoid, high horse, I mean the body who will ‘create the rules’ will be the right passionate people who have ‘done their time’ and safeguard its innovative spirit. As a Londoner I would be honored to have skateboarding come to 2012!

August 20, 2008 at 9:15 pm
(10) Amanda says:

No question skateboarding should be an Olympic Sport because it takes an Olympic effort to do it well. The one thing Skateboarding is missing is money and if this is what it takes to turn skateboarding into a financially viable profession then we should all be for it. Its addition will bring the Olympics up to date with the way sport is evolving, it’s a fact that more kids skateboard than participate in any other organised sport! It’s also a global sport, unlike many others in the Olympics, and one that’s financially acccessible for all.

August 24, 2008 at 11:21 am
(11) Baylen says:

I believe the concept of skateboarding in the Olympics is a wonderful idea, but a few questions arise. Are there enough countries that have professional skaters? Would they make a street course, vert, big air . . . they surely wouldn’t do them all and just one seems rather unfair. I don’t think it would sell the sport out, I think it would only improve the image of the sport and I would personally love to see skateboarding in the Olympics, as I’m sure plenty of other people would.

September 14, 2008 at 1:11 am
(12) Maya says:

I agree with Riley. It will attract a lot of wannabes, but I fully support skateboarding in the Olympics. There will always be some cons about these decisions, but there are many benefits of having it the Olympics

October 3, 2008 at 11:44 am
(13) Jordan says:

Nooo!…why are they do’n this!?….skateboarding is starting to become too mainstream as it is already….im’a skater and i love the fact that skate’n has no rules…no “one” way to skate…that’s wut makes it soo theraputic. because it gives you a since of freedom…and creativity that no other mainstream sport does…..i feel that the olympics is going to ruin the whole essence of skateboarding……..X-GAMES is OUR olympics.

October 7, 2008 at 6:37 pm
(14) HERNAN says:

THEY NEED TO HAVE DOWNHILL SKATEBOARDING IN THE 2012 GAMES! IT WOULD FIT SO PERFECT……I MEAN COME ON ITS A RACE FORMAT WHERE RACERS COMPET HEAD TO HEAD AT HIGH SPEEDS!!!!! ITS 100% SKATEBOARDING!!!!

October 30, 2008 at 9:07 am
(15) Dominick says:

i think skateboarding should be entered into the olympics also, single effort sports are what the majority of our younger generations are enjoying, not to mention skateboarding is one of the biggest industries in the world.

October 31, 2008 at 8:53 am
(16) Dominick Canterberry says:

thats rediculous, every country has a mass amount of great skaters that 90 percent of you people havent even heard about. Most of the pros in the videos we watch today are from different countries. Even froston, and look at him

November 18, 2008 at 12:27 am
(17) Ben says:

Skateboarding in the Olympics is a terrible thing. people usually just look at the mainstream side of skateboarding. It is definitely not an organized sport in any way and it can never be. the true pros in skateboarding wont let it happen, except for the vert skateboarders. Skateboarders don’t want to go into something training to be the best, true skateboarders don’t care if they win or lose. skateboarding in the Olympics would take that away from the skaters. skateboarding has already been exposed too far and the Olympics would make it out of control. I definitely say no to this.

February 5, 2009 at 10:05 am
(18) Connor303 says:

i dont think pro skaters will be entered into the olympics because the point of the olympics is to discover up and coming athletes. I dont think team GB would really struggle that much, there is so much skateboarding talent in britain. but i would love to see skateboarding in the 2012 olympics. the new olympic stadium is being built not too far from where i live.

February 8, 2009 at 5:12 pm
(19) Rich SF says:

face it, skateboarding is already an international sport and i’m pretty sure it won’t go back to underground soon.

February 10, 2009 at 2:41 pm
(20) Mike says:

I think this is a big issue that could ruin street skateing and should probly stay only in the X Games but of course this is just my opinion and i can’t change what the whole world wants so i guess it will be a little better for skaters so people might even make more skate parks that sound s good

July 23, 2009 at 11:45 am
(21) matt says:

skateboarding is gonna get a whole lot lamer if they decide to make it an olympic sport

August 25, 2009 at 7:45 pm
(22) Darcy says:

Skateboarding SHOULD NOT be in the olympics the reasons stated above back me up its bulls**t no good will come out of it skateboarding has allways had its ups and downs this will just lead to another down i believe its bad enopugh having the x games and the dew tour

November 5, 2009 at 7:48 pm
(23) lisa says:

I hope that skateboarding will be in the 2012 olympics. It is going to be awsome if the skateboarding were in the olympics. I am even doing an assignment on how skateboarding should be in the olympics. Please let skateboardingbe in the 2012 olympics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

December 2, 2009 at 9:12 am
(24) Joey says:

Skateboarding should be in the olympics because its better than the rest of the olympic sports!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

December 2, 2009 at 10:19 am
(25) Craig says:

Why not promote Downhill and Slalom skateboarding, both based on speed and timing, to be added into the olympics and keep street and vert away from the rules, regulations and standardization necessary for olympic events…..Out of all the articles I’ve read there is no mention of the “racing” disciplines of the sport.

December 7, 2009 at 5:35 am
(26) calum says:

the olympics isnt going to stop anyone from skating so how can it be a bad thing?
wrote a load but the comment thing broke stop caring about ‘cool’ image skate for fun not for image your more fake if you are. NOTHING WILL EVER BE ABLE TO STOP YOU SKATING HOW YOU WANT WHEN YOU WANT WHERE YOU WANT so i dont see how it can be bad

December 9, 2009 at 9:38 am
(27) shaawn says:

i think that skate boarding should be in the olympics because it dusent get reconised anuf so it should and also sum people think that it is so easy to skate but it is not

December 13, 2009 at 4:04 pm
(28) Matt says:

I think putting skateboarding in the olympics would be a great idea. As far as creating rules goes, you cant create rules for skateboarding, it will always be a sport about freedom and creativity. the closest thing rules is “skate etiquette”. putting it in will open up a lot of doors for skateboarding. it will make it more well known and accepted. think about how many people watch the olympics. it will give those people who maybe dont know much about the sport to see what its like for us who do. a spotlight on the skateboarding world, if i may. i live in a town in maine where we dont have a skatepark and everywhere fun to skate is either “skate-stopped” or swimming with security guards. plus the cops arent exactly big fans of it either. it might let people know what the skateboarding world is all about.

February 10, 2010 at 9:16 pm
(29) franklin says:

Sk8boarding will most likely be in the olympics children teens and adults all over the wrold have sk8boards

February 15, 2010 at 6:36 am
(30) vern says:

Skating has seen lots of booms and busts over the decades (I started in 1974 and still skate vert), and SOMEBODY always makes money during the booms. But if there are no greedy capitalist sellouts lusting after money, who will make the equipment? It’s not like you can go out in the forest and hack yourself a new multi-ply board out of a tree. I don’t want to go back to the Logan Earth Log. You can cast your own trucks in a hole in the backyard (they’ll suck), but you need a big, ugly, expensive chemical plant to make polyurethane wheels and truck bushings. Bearings are kinda tough as a DIY project too.
If you like skateparks, Olympic status can only be a plus. If you don’t, what do you care? So what if some stupid committee comes up with bullshit rules? They don’t apply to you unless you want to enter the Olympics! The “correct” way to skateboard — what a laugh!
“Wannabes” want to be like you because you are cool. They either become one of us or they drop out ’cause they can’t take the pain. Some dork with an unscathed board doesn’t make ME less of a skater — with any luck, his mommie’s money is supporting a business that one of my friends owns! And maybe mommie will get another skatepark built.
OF COURSE skateboarding is a sport. It is also a way of life, a subculture, a means of personal expression, even basic transportation. CURLING is not a sport!

February 17, 2010 at 11:19 pm
(31) Mercedes says:

Skateboarding is much more athletic than PING PONG! I’m not a skater, but I was just watching the snowboarding halfpipe on the 2010 Olympics, and all I could think was “how come this is in the Olympics and skateboarding isn’t?”

And anyone who could get to an athletic Olympic level of skateboarding cannot possibly be a “wannabe” by any definition of the term! Unless what you mean is that “true skateboarders” have to smoke pot and graffiti mailboxes, but I think *those* are the “wannabe’s”…

February 17, 2010 at 11:36 pm
(32) Schrodinger's Cat says:

Starting Olympic skating won’t “ruin” the sport any more than American Idol “ruined” music. Sure, you can look at it and say “that’s lame and it’s not how *I* want to skate” but just because there’s a professional version of something you do in your free time doesn’t mean you have to stop doing it in your free time and start training professionally.

Just like a lot of independent bands still play indie music, even though other bands have “sold out” and play professionally, you can still “reject the rules” and keep skating the way you want!!

February 18, 2010 at 12:33 am
(33) Colorado stephen says:

Vern said what my roommate and I were thinking exactly. Well spoken sir very well spoken. I want more Parks, indoor and out. People thought snowboarding would be a mistake and now look at it, its one of the most talked about event in the winter Olympics. I get told to grow up almost daily because I skate. I don’t stop, I just get off work and hit the streets on my board with my roommate. If your so concerned about being underground, start Rollerblading, they are underground.

February 18, 2010 at 12:46 am
(34) Taylor says:

I think it should be allowed.

It will gained more respect worldwide and people will appreciate it. To old people, it’s a reckless hobby for punks and drug addicts with no life.

Snowboarding has made its way into the olympics, and skateboarding is clearly more popular, so why not?

February 18, 2010 at 6:47 am
(35) Daniel Wintle says:

I don’t think that skateboarding should enter the Olympics because as Taylor (comment 34) says:

‘Hopefully there will be a day when cops and store owners will respect skating enough to allow skating. No more getting kicked out. They may actually watch us and enjoy it.’

I can see the exact opposite happening, with more money being pumped into skating through support from local authorities to create and build more skate parks, there will then be bans on skateboarding in public spaces and on the street as we are all herded into the parks.
This would kill the modern street pro, and skateboarding would be something that you train to do and not something you did because you enjoyed it.
This is already happening though with the skateboarders like Ryan Sheckler and the X Games crowd. I’m not bashing Ryan, its just he is the most instantly recognizable skateboarder now through lucrative television deals and advertisements.

The comments saying that it will raise peoples perception of skateboarders to the public instead of being seen as drug addicts with no lives, then I say that I don’t care if people think that of me as I roll by because I know that I’m not and that I go to university and also live a very good and decent life.

February 18, 2010 at 3:24 pm
(36) Ron says:

I think its a great idea, i have been skateboarding for years and think if it became an olympic sport yes a lot of the “underground” skaters would say its a sell out, but they are the same skaters that complain how skateboarding needs to be accepted and understood and are tired of being harrased and saying “skateboarding is not a crime” this is a great chance for people to get to understand and i bet alot of people would be amazed at how much skill it takes to ride a skateboard, let alone do a trick on it

February 23, 2010 at 4:29 pm
(37) Corey says:

If they are looking for a place to put skateboarding, why not combine Badminton with Tennis, or Table Tennis with Tennis AND Badminton? Or what about Canoeing and Kayaking going under the umbrella of Rowing? They added Snowboarding under the Skiing, which I think is OK but wrong. There are definitely ways to do it, the IOC just doesn’t want to because they know that it will bring on more dirty American domination of the Olympics. But what better way to give a sport international recognition than putting it in the Olympic lineup? What better way to build participation? To me it’s no different than the chauvinistic denial of women’s Ski Jumping. I think it’s a no-brainer and just a matter of time before the IOC gets off their snobby high horses and recognizes one of the fastest growing sports in the world for what it is.

As far as “selling out” or “wannabes”, has it caused Snowboarders to “sell out?” And how are you exactly “selling out” in what is supposed to be an international sporting event of amateurs? Though they do allow some professional athletes in now (i.e Basketball), they aren’t even allowed to MENTION a sponsor. Please explain how adding a sport to the Olympics will cause them to “sell out?” Mainstream them, I can see that, but “sell out?” And no other sport in the world already has more “Wannabes” than skateboarding. Its no longer just a sport, it’s become a fashion.

February 23, 2010 at 6:17 pm
(38) Joe D. says:

No! Skateboarding would get ruined by the olympics! look at that japanese snowboarder, who had to apologize for wearing his uniform casually. skating would lose all individuality if it gos to the olympics.

February 24, 2010 at 12:36 pm
(39) Dj says:

i beleive it should be added because the sport is done world wide!

February 25, 2010 at 1:44 pm
(40) t-rad says:

After 16 years of being kicked out, ticketed, arrested, degraded, looked down upon and altogether shit on for being a skateboarder in America, I think it is disgusting that America will ask those it has outcast for so long to win a medal in America’s name. Don’t get me wrong, America is a great country. But really, skaters are going to give America the glory of a gold medal (or any medal) after all the BS it places on skateboarding?

I like to think if I were one of the best American skaters I’d tell the olympics to f-off. I will not lend my misinterpreted skills to the glory of a country that hates me.

February 26, 2010 at 1:17 am
(41) Mr Bo says:

Its bad enough that they have introduced all this X-Game garbage into the Olympics, now they want to bring in this shit? Come on, this crap doesn’t belong in the Olympics!

March 2, 2010 at 10:34 am
(42) Hatchet666 says:

I am disappointed in the fact that skateboarding is being considered in the Olympics. Skateboarding is NOT a mainstream sport, no matter how hard you try to make it. The same with Bmx. These sports are for a completely different breed of human beings and should stay that way. Now every little Tommy-whats-his-face is going to Walmart and Target and getting a skateboard and clogging up the parks. I own a core skateboard shop and see this everyday. I used to get made fun of for skating in high school and loved it! Now its the cool thing to do and skateboarding will end up like roller blading, done for health and fitness. Skateboarding is about the challenge, the friendship, the feeling of fitting in by not fitting in. The X Games and Olympics are stripping skateboarding of its rightful place in society where it didnt have a place. The only good thing that could come of this is how funny the huge culture clash will be. Its on the complete other end of the spectrum. We dont train for skateboarding, we dont eat a diet specifically for skateboarding, and we dont fit in with the Olympic crowd. Thats my rant and Im sticking to it!

March 10, 2010 at 9:22 pm
(43) angelo says:

i think it would be just like dew tour…but their would be plenty of compilation for America i think London and Germany could beat us …also America has a bunch of pros who are from other countries

March 23, 2010 at 6:18 pm
(44) bob says:

If there were to be skating in the olympics don’t you think there would be rules for it? All the rul.es will take the pleasure away from it. there would be a right way and a wrong way to skate which would make skating boring overall

March 23, 2010 at 6:21 pm
(45) bob says:

there might also be a uniform for skating too. No more individuality and uniqueness

March 23, 2010 at 6:23 pm
(46) simon says:

that would make me want to be in the olympics

April 8, 2010 at 9:01 pm
(47) jeremy says:

this is the most wonderful thing i have ever read. if they did this it would change the world.

April 16, 2010 at 7:00 pm
(48) Pen15 says:

I dont think skating in the olympics is good bc skating doesnt need any more attention than it already has. GOOD example with ryan sheckler, bc i believe its fair to say he probably isnt the best skater around, but bc of the shows and the publicity it instantly made him this huge idol, when in fact he is just another skater like the rest of us. But as far as more parks go, i think we should have more parks to skate at both vert and street so that people can enjoy both. But as the olympics agn i agree to the fact that if they allowed downhill and slalom tht might not be too bad bc that way they dont put the rules on how to ride and what isnt good enough it would be just like skiing or anything else.

May 3, 2010 at 5:32 pm
(49) PippyRay says:

Mr Bo says it best! I would just like to add that putting snowboarding in the Olympics caused Mountains to compete for having the best parks. Seems to me that the same would logically happen for skate parks. As a Mom, any interest my child will have is better than watching tv, doing drugs, or becoming obese. If seeing an Olympian inspires this, fantastic! Lastly, sports come and go through the Olympics, as interest grows and wanes for a sport. Isn’t it time we phased out curling?

May 5, 2010 at 11:20 am
(50) nick says:

Skateboarding isn’t meant to be an official sport that it is so unique. It is an art form for individuals. not a rules game.

May 21, 2010 at 5:00 pm
(51) james says:

if the olympics adopts skateboarding as an event, that would be great. if the olympics accepted vert, or even street style shortboarding as an event, it would mean doom for every other discipline’s chance of being in the olympics. everybody who skates says “dude, skating in the olympics! sweet!” but why? will more media attention make skating more fun? think about this. if the olympics do adopt skating, more people will skate, because parents will see it on the olympics, and people who would have said “fuck no you ain’t ridin no skateboard!” (because all skateboarders are heavy drug users, of course) will say, sure we can get you a board, (cuz its a real respectable sport in the olympics. like curling.) skateboard companies will be wiping their asses with ben franklins face(you know, cuz their so rich). prices will go up, because they now have an even greater demand than they have already been enjoying (p.s. almost every company you see represented at “core” in the mall is getting perposterously loaded by hyping skaters into buying cheap, poorly made crap!) lesser known (local and longboard)companys would not be able to afford advertising during the olympics, so where are all of our rich new skater kids going? your friendly neighborhood corporate fat cats at core. give it a while, and your go to designated shredding area, will be busier every week, until its too full of rich fucksticks tripping over their pretty new boards to get so much as a check slide in before the cops show up. whatever. don’t make a fuck what i want in the olympics…

May 22, 2010 at 10:26 am
(52) Ashley says:

I do not want to see skateboarding in the olympics because I love that feeling of being hated by the cops. I love the old people tellin us skateboard somewhere else. If I am walking down the street, I do not want to see a whole family skateboarding. Besides, if skateboarding gets more popluar they will make more skate parks. And that might sound great but most skateparks dont have evrything. Then police will say that there is skatepark down the street. But Iwant to ride in the street. NO SKATEBOARDING IN THE OLYIMPICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 1, 2010 at 8:58 am
(53) Bob Knab says:

I have never seen so many comments.
Skateboarding has kept my family (2 boys, Mom and Dad) together.
My kids are good at mainstream sports, though there heart and soul is with snow and skateboarding. We need this accreditation so that local towns and schools advocate for more skateparks. We have enough basketball courts, baseball diamonds, and hockey arenas. I want a concrete skate park in my town. Great exercise and skateboard meditation!

August 14, 2010 at 1:02 am
(54) mitch says:

January 10, 2011 at 11:11 am
(55) johnny says:

Daewon vs Rodney 2012 that’s what i’m talking about

January 10, 2011 at 7:29 pm
(56) Mike Weckstein says:

I think it’d be sick to have skateboarding in the Olympics… Depending on: A. what events are included, B. Who is allowed to enter and how the contests are judged/ran, and C. If the park is sick and awesome like never before why not let it happen. If they’re able to replicate real street spots that’d be pretty cool. I’m not really hating on the idea, I just think if you’re gonna have skateboarding in the olympics, make sure everyone who is good enough to be able to compete should be able to officially try out through perhaps, let’s say skateboarding contests at certain parks for qualifiers and all. That’s my view. I’ll skate till my legs fall off either way. I don’t care much about the olympics but I’ll watch the skating if it’s in it.

February 16, 2011 at 4:22 pm
(57) Alfonso says:

I think it would be awesome if skateboarding was in the Olympics because it would attract new generations of kids or just anyone. There can still be vert and street and big air events to seperate the different pros. I’m tired of people saying skating is not a sport, skating needs to rise and be up in the mainstream.

February 28, 2011 at 11:21 am
(58) ThatSkaterKid says:

I take it personal when skateboarding is called a “sport.” It is a hobby, skateboarding will be ruined because of all the main stream guys that have no right to even think about skaters. All they want is to make money by selling us all out and skateboarding will just be another “sport” if added to 2012 olympics. Please be supportive people, skating is a lifestyle, not just another “sport!” I’m 13 years old and I love skateboarding, I’m good. But, in my opinion, skaters will all get mad and be sold out for money and it is bull$#!+. Our reputation of being different, the feeling I get when i skate, will be ruined by going mainstream and having people watch just to see it. Not to support it. I hope it wont be added, and i really hope us skaters can skate without having all the publicity for skating in downtown areas such as Knoxville, Tennessee, which is my favorite hometown place to skate. Help me get any support for skateboarding to NOT be in the 2012 olympics!! Thanks!

March 8, 2011 at 11:00 am
(59) austin says:

I have very strong beliefs that skateboarding will make it into the olympics, im am currently doing a research paper on the topic. The information that i have gathered has shown a very high chance of skateboarding being in the 2012 london olympics.

March 15, 2011 at 2:32 pm
(60) Olympic$$$ my ass says:

“half the people here do not even skate. skateboarding is not a sport and should never be in the olympics.”

This is correct and if you think otherwise you’re a dimwit with no grasp of the subject.

May 23, 2011 at 4:03 pm
(61) toonz says:

I think it’s a great thing, professional skateboarders are amazing athletes.

July 30, 2011 at 9:42 pm
(62) harold says:

If it happens I’m getting stock in some skateboard company. It would be nothing but good they have snowboard pipe in the winter. its the same concept but on wheels. For the people who say other countries wouldn’t have a chance your wrong. A lot of countries are represented in the x games it wouldn’t be hard.

November 9, 2011 at 6:50 pm
(63) Ryan says:

I wouldnt want sateboarding in the olympics, think of how different it will be. Or should i say ‘same’ as it would be considered a sport and less outcasted. It may not be a bad thing, but skateboarding as of right now is perfect the way it is. We dont need a shiiettr version of the X games. Even if it was in the olympics, i wouldnt even know wether it would be ruled like all the other contests, (you know…best trick, best run…etc) or if theyre going to completely change it and make skaters wear a stupid uniform. It will be completely different after the olympics and thats not a good thing.

November 19, 2011 at 2:11 pm
(64) Enzo says:

some of you ppl are idiots. it would be amazing for skateboarding to be in the olympics. skateboarding could finally be considered a REAL sport to EVERYONE! wat u guys dont understand is that most of the pros in the US arent from the US. there are soo many pros from many different countries that just live here. u guys dont realize but skateboarding needs to have a step up, and the olympics would be it. ryan come on, they would make them wear stupid things? come on all they would have to wear is a shirt representing their counrty.. listen to yourself, if they have snowboarding in it, they can have skateboarding it it because its not much different, we just have wheels under us

January 11, 2012 at 3:21 am
(65) Richard says:

Interesting discussion. In my view it is critical for the future of the sport that skateboarding one day makes the olympics. I’ve been skating for well over 20 years, and it never fails to amaze me just how poorly-understood skateboading is by the mainstream. If I tell people I’m a skater I often receive comments like ‘Didn’t that die out in the 70s’ or ‘Isn’t that just for young kids’. When you’re within the skate community such ideas seem ridiculous, but nevertheless, these are typical views help from outside.

In my view this would change dramatically if people saw skateboarding as an olympic sport – we’re already paying the price for not pushing for this the last time we had a window of opportunity; kids are taking up riding those silly scooters instead of buying skateboards, and the sport as a whole has taken a bit of a downturn in Europe, with companies competing against each other, rather than trying to expand interest in skateboarding as a whole.

I suggest that the first step would be to get vert skateboarding into the olympics as it can be appreciated by all. If we can achieve this then street / park events will soon follow.

It’s time to make a real push to get skateboarding the international respect that it deserves.

January 28, 2012 at 9:17 am
(66) sparesoul says:

Funny how the skaters who complain about how mainstream skating has become aren’t old enough to remember when skateboarding was a crime! You will find a great deal of skaters who champion the freedom and underground nature of the sport then go on to ridicule unskilled or new riders, often leading to intimidation. I started skating in 1981 on a skinny plastic skateboard then moved on to a Nash, Valterra, Santa Cruz… I dreamt that one day skateboarding would gain the professional recognition that inclusion to the olympics garners. Yes, let the poseurs flock to the sport, let everyone who wants to skate jump into the mix, and get excited for the magic we’re gonna see the first day a skater grabs the gold!

April 29, 2012 at 9:16 am
(67) fgfdsgf says:

it should be in the olympics

July 30, 2012 at 1:03 am
(68) Camille says:

I hope they put skateboarding in the Olympics and if they do I actually will watch it this year but I hope they don’t try to make skateboarding their way but otherwise they should definitely do it

August 5, 2012 at 1:31 am
(69) skater says:

deffiantly should be in the olympics! it would be just like street league or x games but more mainstream, which is GREAT. anyone who thinks it shouldn’t because it would ruin the sport are literally retarded. how in the world would it ruin the sport? that is the dumbest thing i have ever heard! even if the olympics change anything, you don’t have to partake in any of it.
it wouldn’t change a thing, there are no cons, only pros

August 5, 2012 at 1:48 am
(70) jake says:

dang, what really gets on my nerves is when little retards (ryan, olympic$$$$ my ass, thatskaterkid, etc) that would never go in a competition, or go pro or even am have there stupid opinions! THEY MOST LIKLY SUCK AT SKATEBOARDING AND SHOULDN’T EVEN BE ON THIS SITE. i hate ppl like that, there everwhere now. if u have connections, ask any pro and they would love it to be in the olympics and be exposed to the outside world. YOU dumb idiots who will never make it to a proffesional level want to ruin it for the pros and the future pros, it pisses me off! thatskaterkid is only 13 years old and probably never will make it to a pro level, he thinks he’s good cause he probably know a trey flip and freaking 5-0, it’s insane how he thinks he knows anything! THIS IS THE TRUTH, skateboarding needs to go in the olympics very soon

August 11, 2012 at 12:16 am
(71) Jim Norton says:

I remember talk about skateboarding being in the 1980 Olympics. That was a long time ago. Tonight, I am watching BMX racing at the 2012 London Olympics and thinking how can this and snowboarding be in the games but not skateboarding. Maybe its a reflection on how skateboarding has morphed from being athletic and competitive oriented (1975 – 1980) to being a rebellious lifestyle (mid 80s – now). It truly is a slap in the face to the sport. Especially, with the strides downhill and slalom skateboarding have made world wide.

Jim Norton
Huntsville, AL

August 12, 2012 at 10:51 pm
(72) joey schuler says:

if they should have it in the olympic games they should make it like a game of S.K.A.T.E but down like a 10 or 14 set of stairs cause they will all be amazing athletes competing so none of them would mess up alot and it would be very consistant and extremely fun for spectators to watch and as some people say that they dont kno if other countries would be able to make up a team well just let me tell you this no matter where u go in the world there are amazing skateboards every where so making teams for all countries would be no problem

August 12, 2012 at 10:57 pm
(73) joey schuler says:

schuler.joseph@yahoo.com tell me if you think its a good idea

September 29, 2012 at 6:17 am
(74) taup816 says:

http://google.ca Yes, i like this website as well! This give me the chance to open my own. Trustfully will bring people to visit my website